Saturday, January 9, 2010

Updates

I have spent the past two weeks in North Carolina relaxing with family, testing new training routes and getting a massage from Xanie Adams (the world's best massage therapist in my opinion). The training runs went very well for the most part. I started my training time in North Carolina with a wet and muddy 6 mile tempo run. This run was in a bit of a down pour and I had to negotiate flooded sidewalks (where there were sidewalks at all) and significant red clay mud. My moderately clean running shoes are now dyed a lovely brown to go with the orange trim! I was a bit faster per mile than my planned pace but did not feel that I was pushing the pace at any point. Overall, a great run that accomplished the goals set out.

A few days later, I had a tough interval workout. I HATE interval work with a passion. For those who don't know, an interval workout involves running a set of repeats extremely fast. In running like in most things I do, I don't like failing and sometimes avoid things that I am not good at. In this particular workout, I wanted to focus on my running form and fast foot turnover. The workout supposed to be in .10 mile intervals because I was on a marked trail rather than a track. I started with a 1.5 mile warmup and then moved to I did 8 runs of .10 mile with jogging between each run. Unfortunately, I didn't accurately convert .10 mile to meters and was WAY TOO FAST (Read 5:30 per mile pace instead of 6:30 per mile pace). I finished the workout and did a 1.5 mile cooldown feeling more wiped out than I wanted. This training run, while reminding me that I like being fast can also lead to injury and if it happens too often, a slower than planned race. Luckily I have friends and family members who know a great deal about running and can help me remember to leave some gas in the tank for race day.

I also had the chance to do a 10 mile run in Washington, DC. It was 19 degrees or so with a significant headwind for the entire route but I'd never been to Washington as a tourist so I squeezed some site seeing into the run. Just how much site seeing you may ask - the National Zoo, White House, Congress, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, National Mall, Washington Monument, Reflecting Pool, Lincoln Memorial and Veteran's Memorial. I saw 1 runner, had hands so cold I couldn't work the key coming back in the door and my Clif Blocs froze but it was a great route. The only downside is that I tweaked my foot about 8 miles into the run and have had to take a bit of time off to let it heal. I am betting that part of the lingering pain has as much to do with spending the 6 hours immediately after my run at the Smithsonian Natural History and Air/Space Museums with an excited 4 year old as it does the rock that attacked me while running.

On a fundraising note, I have passed the $1200 mark and several folks from around the country have volunteered to host small fundraising parties that increase the size of circle giving to MBHP. Want to host something? If so, leave a comment or drop me an e-mail! Tomorrow I get to pull on my running shoes and hopefully (foot injury permitting) bang out 10 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment