Tuesday, December 29, 2009

On vacation...and trying not to worry

Before leaving for my vacation last week, my supervisor had me make a promise. She asked (read mandated) that I actually take a vacation - with no work, no checking my cellphone voicemail, no calling clients or the office if the weather got bad. I was doing just fine until I looked at Boston.com a few minutes ago.

It is 19 degrees in Boston right now with 55 mile per hour winds and -10 degree windchill expected tonight. This is exactly the kind of weather that concerns housing advocates like me. The shelter system in Boston, as is the case with much of the country, is over-taxed and beyond nightly capacity. In addition, there are many folks who because of mental health issues or other concerns have a difficult time coming into a shelter even during this weather.

I am keeping my promise to not check voice mail and feel thankful that most of my folks are currently housed but I know there are plenty of men and women with no where to go tonight. If you see homeless folks out tonight, ask how they are holding up in the weather. If there are signs that something may be wrong, call 911 or in Boston, the Mayor's Hotline at 617-635-4500.

No comments:

Post a Comment