Tuesday, January 26, 2010

If you build it, they will come

Today's mantra is "If you build it, they will come" from Field of Dreams. I had the pleasure of conducting a training on appropriate interventions for hoarding cases for a large state agency here in Massachusetts today. The training, 1 of 3 we will be conducting comes after several years of challenging work to argue that hoarding has a direct, serious impact on the clients they serve. The training went very well and I was able to enjoy the drive home and a stop for a celebratory glass of bourbon with my colleague with a sense of satisfaction that I have rarely felt.

When I returned home, my inbox was filled with more great news of the "If you build it" variety. Another friend e-mailed to ask if I could talk briefly with a group of school kids about tzedakah and homelessness issues. The same friend also sent an additional e-mail with a donation from her company to support MBHP and my marathon run. Finally, a Twitter friend tipped me over the $2500 mark in my fundraising campaign!

These are the kinds of days that are few and far between in the housing and homelessness world. As the miles add up and I am running before what is sure to be a long day at work, these moments will help me push through - even when the hills are rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment